Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Thoughts I was Thinking Today

Early morning New Years walk on the trail at the bottom of our hill - beneath an arch of leafless branches, and many tall pines here and there reaching up to touch the sky - and my thoughts went like this....

Optimism is a kin to either foolhardiness or denial. We are optimistic that the atrocities of the past will not be repeated today - optimistic that we are better people, less evil, more humanitarian than our forefathers. We're optimistic that we'll learn from history - but we never do. We're no better or worse than them. We're human.
Maple leaf
We live in our bubbles, feed our kids, arrange their swimming lessons, music lessons, drop them off at school on time, avoid the morning rush of cars in the school parking lot as we walk up the hill, hope that our kids won't fight at recess, or feel the crush of hurt feelings when they don't get their way, or that they have a good teacher who appreciates them,sees the good in them. We hope that cutbacks don't affect our jobs, and that we can continue the way of life we have been building for ourselves. These 'problems' are so little when you think of people living on the streets, unsure if they will make it through to the morning.

And what is it that has a roof over my head, but not on theirs? Optimism? Hope? Luck? Hard work? Fate? Why am I warm and dry with food in the cupboards and hot tea in my cup?

On our walk my husband was telling Kieran about how poor I was going to school, how I put myself through university and didn't have extra money to buy things that we have now. I told him about having to stand in the little grocery store with enough money for milk or bread, but not both. Having to make the choice, but still lucky that I had a choice. It's hard to explain to kids who have so much that there are children in the world, and in our own community who are not so "lucky".

And at the back of my head I'm always thinking, life can turn on a dime, so be grateful. Be grateful for all you have and be thankful that the problems you have are all you have to worry about.

And when I use the word we, I mean me. I don't want to speak for everyone in the little boat I travel in. This is my own reminder to bow with a certain grace to God and say I am grateful.

No comments: