Sunday, January 4, 2009

Jesus, Mary and Joseph. . . (are living in my closet)

The holidays are on their last legs, the big boys are back to school tomorrow, and my next Masters class begins. Soon, I will be swept up in its momentum, wondering where the lazy days of Christmas went. The tree is coming down, the ornaments wrapped in tissue to preserve them for another year, the Nativity scene likewise put in a safe corner in our little storage closet.

I should come to think of that storage closet as a bunker where Jesus, Mary and Joseph can live together in peace, harmony and good will, uninterrupted by the little hands that reach in to their scene and rearrange them again and again as my children like to do. They will live there until we need them again, and they will return refreshed, but a little weary to remind us what the holidays are all about. About family. About hope. About a life so new and full of possibilities. Maybe I should find a place in my purse to carry these little figurines around so that I can be reminded on a daily basis how important these things are. Perhaps on the dashboard of the car as I rush here and there, so that I can hold the peace closer to my soul when I start to slip into bits of despair about a life spent running errands, and meeting obligations. A gerbil wheel that doesn't seem to rest.

But we all know what would happen then, don't we? We'd no longer see it. It would blend in to the dash, and grow dusty and neglected. Best if we bring it out once a year to recharge ourselves with its renewal. . . . So I'll store them away in their safe little haven and let them go about their merry way, while we go about ours.

No comments: