Monday, September 15, 2008

A few words jotted down

This morning after Kier went off to school I took Aidan for a long walk to the view I've fallen in love with. Each step and some words started forming in my mind, and they kept reworking themselves until I had to stop, get out my notebook and scribble them down. What I came up with was either a first chapter to a YA novel, or a short story. After the jotting down, I walked some more, and stopped in at the hospital (I feel at home in hospitals), sat down on a bench and jotted down a better ending to the chapter. God it felt good.

I just love the high I get from writing. When I've written something that feels good and right and solid, I just feel this incredible elation. I'm not sure when it started for me, but I remember writing a poem in my mid-twenties and I felt like I had climbed to this summit that nobody else had ever been to. The view I was seeing was mine, and I wanted to share it with everyone I knew.

Now, here's a question. Is this normal? Do other people feel this overwhelming sensation that they have to write their thoughts down? Or am I just the crazy one?

2 comments:

Becca said...

Not crazy at all, Carol. I kept a journal from age 7 to about 20. I always thought I'd continue forever and someday write a book, but Life got in the way. Well, Life and a distinct decrease in boy drama (gee, isn't that the stuff that often fuels the writing of Thoughts in adolescence?). All those people out here in Blogland will agree with the need to write things down. It's the preservation of memories. I'm a pack rat--I save photos, letters and Thoughts for future generations, and for myself. I've found reading those old journals has provided long hours of entertainment and the re-living of some painful (although often rediculously shallow) memories.

Carol N. said...

Someday I'll have to look through my old journals too. I have them in 3 old backpacks and they've moved across the country with me. One of these days I'll be brave enough to look!

Thanks for responding, Becca. Always a pleasure!