Friday, October 10, 2008

Echoes of Stress

Aidan had a cardio appointment yesterday to meet our new cardiologist and have an echocardiogram done. He took it like a trooper--but not me. I was very stressed about it--to the point of panic attacks. I can't believe how much of the raw shock from the first echo came back at me. I knew that Aidan was fine this time around--there have been no signs of heart failure and the cardiologist in Winnipeg said he was completely repaired. But still, I thought that he was fine before his first echo--I really believed his ticker was okay and the shock I felt when they told me he had 3 holes in his heart and would experience heart failure and need surgery completely overwhelmed me. I remember I felt like I was being kicked repeatedly in the stomach. I guess you never forget those feelings, and even a routine echo has the power to send my head spinning.

Anyways, Aidan was great. He lay back with his hands behind his head while the technician performed the echo. He looked like he was getting a massage at the spa. Best news is that his heart is still fine, and we do not need to go back for about 5 years.

So, those panic attacks were unwaranted, but sure served a purpose to remind us how far we have come, and to be grateful for it.

3 comments:

Becca said...

Wow, 5 years!!!! That's fantastic! I know exactly what you mean--I still panic before Sammi's cardio appointments. She doesn't have to go back for another 3 years, but I swear, I imagine things in the meantime, and always worry that something may have changed. I knew Aidan would be fine. :-) He's such a gorgeous little guy!

Carol N. said...

Thanks Becca--it is amazing how much stress we can handle, isn't it?

Thanks for saying Aidan's gorgeous, we feel the same way about Sammi!

Becca said...

And hopefully these two gorgeous little ones will get to meet some day!! :-)

I'm so happy you're blogging, Carol!