Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I Feel Like I've Joined a Special Club




I was sitting at the side of the pool with Aidan, watching Liam have his swimming lessons. A dad and his little boy sat beside us and we started to chat. The little boy had his bathing suit on, and showed me that he had a 4 inch scar on his lower back, close to his side. "I got an owie (sp?)", he said to me. His dad said he had to have an operation on his kidney. So, then I told the little boy that Aidan had an operation too, and would he like to see Aidan's scar? - of course he said, yes! So I showed Aidan's little heart scar, or as my flickr friend, Jennie, says his "chest zipper".

What followed was a conversation with the dad about having kids go through operations. How difficult it is, how thankful that we are that modern surgical procedures are as advanced as they are, and how we rejoiced when our kids were "fixed up".

Then he asked me, "so, is it any different to have a child with Down syndrome?"

I had to think for a second, then said, "yes, you know it really is for me. Since Aidan was born, I feel like I've joined a very special club. What I mean is that people who have kids, grandkids, siblings, etc. with Down syndrome just seem compelled to come and talk to us. We're tied together by that special little person with the extra chromosome, and that's kind of cozy."

I really feel blessed to have Aidan in our family, and I know the rest of my family feels the same way.

Well, that's it. Just wanted to share that thought with the world.

4 comments:

Becca said...

I feel the exact same way, Carol. I always think of it as a special club, and in a way, I sometimes feel bad for all those people of "typical" children who don't get to join. I feel that in a way we get a distinct advantage over other parents by having an instant network of people who share a common interest and passion. Oh, and I love Jennie's expression. She said it in one of her comments to me recently, and I thought it was hysterical, and very fitting.

Carol N. said...

Thanks, Becca,

I think it was likely from your site that I got the name "chest zipper" - from that cute photo of Sammi lifting her top (or dress) - Jennie's wording always cracks me up!

JaybirdNWA said...

Hello Carol, We also feel blessed to have John as part of our family. He has taught us so much in the past 3 months as I am sure there are many lessons to be learned. We couldn't imagine our life without him now. It is ashame that people don't understand what a joy these children can be.

Carol N. said...

Thanks for commenting "Jaybirdnwa", it is sad to think that people don't understand the joys that people with Down syndrome bring to our lives; but I do think that people understand more than they used to. Some people really do "get it", and others think they do, but don't really have a clue.