Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I am the Sporadic Writer

If I had my way, I would sail off to a little island somewhere and write. For a week. A month. Two months. I'd miss my husband and my boys, of course - but I would gracefully suffer loneliness for my art (I say that with tongue in cheek). At the end of it all I would have this beautiful piece of work completed. A world I created. People I breathed life into. Events where I pulled the strings.

It would be like:

The Last 100 Pages Boot Camp.

Or, The Biggest Writer.

Or, The Amazing Novelist

Sadly, none of this is going to happen, and I know that (unless we win the lottery). So, I will continue to be the sporadic writer, grabbing little bits of time when I can.

In the meantime, this writer will continue to dream a little dream of that romantic place and days spent like Thoreau.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't a writing reality TV show be great? They could take a bunch of us unpublished types who want to get something done, toss us on an isle in the Carribbean, pay us a per diem, and set us to writing. Of course to up the drama we'd have to vote each other off on the basis of how our various writing projects were going. It could become quite vicious. You would have an advantage, I think, because you would already be good at blocking out the distractions that the other contestants would try to create.